On Nov. 23, 2005 I moved to The Hague from Washington, DC. This is my new Dutch life.

1.23.2006

The Honeymoon's Over

It's been two months to the day since I arrived in the Netherlands.

A lot of people ask me how I like it here. In spite of the question's simplicity, the answer is not so easy to work out. My answer is a resounding: I guess so.

So far, much of my routine is the same. In the end, we all work, eat and sleep. I miss my friends, coworkers and fellow yogis terribly. At the same time, I cherish this time that B- and I have to go on a new adventure together. It's easy to see the next chapter of my life spreading out in front of me.

They say that people go through a honeymoon period when they move to a new country - the phase when you fall instantly in love with your new way of life. The thing is, it's not that different here. I don't walk outside and spin around with outstretched arms, marveling at the European-ness of it all. Frankly, this isn't Paris or London. It just is what it is.

The second phase of being in a new country is hating the new country. I think I'm moving into that phase. In my defense, I think I'm just pissed off because my immigration application is still not finalized. What should have taken 3 weeks, has so far taken 3 months. I don't exactly feel welcome.

On Sunday, I get to go home for a week. :)

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jen, we can't wait to have you back here in NOVA! And thanks for keeping us updated via your blog.

1:15 AM GMT+1

 

Post a Comment

<< Home