On Nov. 23, 2005 I moved to The Hague from Washington, DC. This is my new Dutch life.

6.26.2006

For Every One Good British Pop Star..

...there are dozens that should be locked in a room and made to play their one hit to each other over and over again, in a round. For every flash of brilliance, there is also a warehouses full of cheese. Stinky, veiny cheese.

This Jamie Cullum song is HUGE here. It haunts me, and I hate it. Does it make me feel any better that it was the hit song for one of the Bridget Jones movies? No, not in the slightest - especially if it was the second Bridget Jones movie because that one supremely sucked.

I first heard this song on KLM, who just had to play it every time they landed the plane (they've since switched to a depressing Stevie Wonder song - who knew Steve could be depressing). Recently I caught some Dutch TV commercial featuring a woman bursting into this song to the delight of an entire bar. Now the grocery store musak has it in heavy rotation.

I want to puncture my eardrums with an ice pick. As an aside, did you know that Frida Kahlo slept with Leon Trotsky?

Anyway... this is all procrastination b/c I'm not quite ready to talk about the abysmal showing the US team made in the World Cup this year. My hope is that by listening to that despicable song, you'll get a small sense of the real pain I felt as Italy and Ghana cheated and got away with it.

At least the Roos are still in it!

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Reid said...

Why is KLM playing songs while they land?! Seems like a good way to ruin just about any song...

4:09 PM GMT+2

 
Blogger akaijen said...

I should have been more clear - they play the songs just AFTER they land, you know right about the time they switch off the A/C en route to the gate.

KLM are... well Dutch. I may have to devote a separate post to them later.

4:16 PM GMT+2

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bad takeoff/taxi music: Los Lonely Boys, "How Far is Heaven" courtesy of ATA. I'm sure they meant to imply "sky" but really just implied "crash and burn."

So-bad-it's-good landing/taxi music: Nicole Kidman and Robbie Williams, "Somethin' Stupid" courtesy of Icelandair. Awful, but, er, catchy. They coulda Bjorked us.

7:36 PM GMT+2

 
Blogger akaijen said...

Yah that's risky business playing songs on the way to the gate. I never feel more anxious than that 5-10 minutes where I really want to get outta there.

And what up with Robbie Williams? People in B-'s office think he's as big as Madonna. AS IF! Uhm, you at least need to be mega-huge on both sides of the pond before you're as big as Madonna.

7:52 PM GMT+2

 
Blogger Robert MacMillan said...

In the event of a plane being in danger of crashing, they should play the "Run Lola Run" music to get everybody into quicktime evacuation mode. Just a thought.

On Trotsky and Kahlo, yes I did know that. Wouldn't YOU sleep with Leon Trotsky if your husband were Diego Rivera? Upside is, I think DR was out most nights getting it on with the local chicas as well. They probably didn't even have moustaches.

3:33 PM GMT+2

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oo, I like it.

If the mighty power of Franka Potente (heh, get it) could cause the lazy bastard in 3C to get his luggage down in something *approaching* a hurry ... I am all for using it every single flight.

5:31 PM GMT+2

 
Blogger Robert MacMillan said...

I've been waiting for someone to make the Potente comment for ages now. Thank you.

5:59 AM GMT+2

 

Post a Comment

<< Home