On Nov. 23, 2005 I moved to The Hague from Washington, DC. This is my new Dutch life.

7.13.2006

Speaking of Pissoirs...

I'm not the only American around here questioning Dutch urinal design. Seems a MacDonalds in southeast Netherlands thought it clever to install mouth-shaped urinals, which are unabashedly feminine despite what the woman who designed them claims.

I'm sorry, lady, but if you don't know that's a female mouth you're seriously out to lunch.

Expatica has the story in English. For more information on the 'Kisses" line of urinals, check out Bathroom Mania!.

I don't even know where to begin on this one... Feminist rant? Stupid move by a particularly 'wholesome' American franchise? Freudian analysis? Perhaps the designer is expressing her frustrations as a failed boy? Anatomy is destiny after all. Hmph.

I think I'd rather Dutch people spend less time on clever urinals and more time on public health campaigns to halt public urination.

And speaking of public health it seems that Amsterdam is suffering an outbreak of Legionnaires' Disease. Guess I'll quit wishing for A/C in public buildings now.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think if I went into a McD's can and saw that I would be scarred for life.

5:55 PM GMT+2

 
Blogger akaijen said...

And if you were a kid having your Ronald McDonald birthday party, tell me you might not think that you're pissing in Ronald's mouth??

THAT would seriously scar me.

8:47 PM GMT+2

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,
Have been reading your blog for some weeks now, very interesting and funny! We have moved beginning this year to the Washington DC area (living in Vienna, VA) and I am originally for the Den Haag area.
Don't know your email otherwise I would have send you some further info.... Bye and have a fun time we are certainly enjoying ourselves here!
Sylvia

12:43 AM GMT+2

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi again,
Just read the article about the urinals. Did you know that the owners surname "Pijper" is the Dutch word for blowjob.... no kidding! Could be a joke!
bye
Sylvia

1:58 AM GMT+2

 
Blogger akaijen said...

Sylvia! Welcome to Virginia - it's for lovers as I'm sure you know. Ha! Too bad I didn't know you were coming over, maybe we could have switched houses or something. I had a lovely condo in Alexandria that took me ages to unload! ;)

Seriously, though... I hope you aren't too offended by my comments on this blog. We actually like Den Haag/Netherlands. I was thinking that you should start the parallel blog about a Dutch person living in the Washington area. We could compare notes.

I set up the following email address if you want to get in touch with with me "off blog." hupdenhaagATyahooDOTcom

9:03 AM GMT+2

 

Post a Comment

<< Home