On Nov. 23, 2005 I moved to The Hague from Washington, DC. This is my new Dutch life.

7.19.2006

We're Having a Heat Wave

Now, I'm no stranger to hot weather. I grew up in the deep South and sweated it out in DC for ten years, I'm pretty used to high temperatures and it's nasty companion, humidity. Generally it doesn't bother me.

However. In the U.S. you can escape it. We have, and use copiously, our A/C (AirCo as the Europeans call it). They have no such luxury here. Not in stores, not in homes. If you're lucky, your office has A/C. Thankfully big grocery stores do.

AccuWeather says it peaked at 96F (35.5C) here in The Hague. It was still 90F (32C) at 9PM this evening. The warm weather rolled in on Sunday and is expected to stick around for at least another day. Maaaaybe, not so bad you say?

Let's put these numbers in perspective. Typical summer days rarely crack 80F (27F). In fact, the forecasted high for Friday is 71F (22C). Also, keep in mind that as recently as the last week of June, it was downright cold at night. B- and I were complaining that we live in Narnia. This is highly irregular weather. Reports of heat-related deaths here and throughout Europe are already rolling in.

To make matters a bit worse, the mosquito population seems to be taking full advantage of the high temps. Our nearly 10ft windows don't have screens, so every night this week has been a veritable smorgasbord, with me as the main course. On Tuesday, I awoke to a swollen eye - not the first time I've been bitten on my eyelid. Last night, I was up all night swatting and scratching.

I've got heat, bad sleep, and a too much coffee to compensate. I'm feeling more than a bit tired and strung out. The pets seem to be holding up OK, though. B-'s still in China, missing the whole spectacle.

On the plus side, it's only rained once this entire month.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home