On Nov. 23, 2005 I moved to The Hague from Washington, DC. This is my new Dutch life.

7.17.2006

Yukky Dutch Word of the Day: Puber

I'm a bit low on time today as I catch up on my Dutch homework and some freelance work. Nigel and I hung out with B-'s boss and some of his family at their cottage on the lake. B-'s in China at the moment, and truth be told, I think his boss felt a little sorry for me being by myself for two weeks. Needless to say, a day of sailing and lounging in the sun has left me a bit behind...

So, I give you a new segment of My New Dutch Life: Yukky Dutch Word of the Day. Be forewarned, I probably won't post one daily.

Puber (pyoo-ber): adolescent, teenager

The etymology of this word seems obvious, if not unfortunate. I never liked the word 'teen' when I was one. I'll take 'teen' over 'puber' any day!

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

* combining with the vocabulary word in the previous blog entry may result in a jail sentence.

6:28 PM GMT+2

 
Blogger Robert MacMillan said...

Isn't Dutch the word where you can say "kunt" all day long, but saying "kut" out loud will get you a slapping? Don't try out "kut" in public, please. It's their c-word, I think.

5:49 AM GMT+2

 
Blogger akaijen said...

Indeed, kunt is the conjugation of the word which means "to be able to." Specifically, that's the third person, singular onjucation, and I think the formal of the two second person, singular conjugations. Dude, I'm dorky.

There's also a word that you use all the time that is very close to their word for 'butt.' I want to say that it's close to the word for sure cube. So you have to be careful how you ask for sugar...

6:22 AM GMT+2

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I migrated to Australia, unable to speak a word of English, us kids were told that under no circumstance should we use the word 'kant' which in dutch means side like side of road. There was also a word in dutch, 'ledikant' meaning a baby or child's cot. Obviously could not use that one either!

9:05 AM GMT+2

 

Post a Comment

<< Home