On Nov. 23, 2005 I moved to The Hague from Washington, DC. This is my new Dutch life.

3.09.2006

A Tribute to iTunes

Mere days before I left for the Netherlands, Apple released it's latest, greatest iPod ever - iPod Video. Mind you, I don't have one, and I don't even want one. I'll even go so far as to say that watching video on a one-inch screen is just lame.

But...

What's so great about iPod video is that Apple was compelled to add video clips to iTunes music store. And not just any ole video clips - current episodes of American television shows. Hallelujah!

I may be snobby about a lot of things but I've never been a TV basher. My only problem with TV is that I usually just didn't have time to watch it. With a bit more free time to channel surf in My New Dutch Life, I have much greater appreciation for American TV than I ever had before.

Most of the channels on my Dutch TV are totally useless. I'm left with BBC1 , BBC2, BBC World (news) and CNN World. And frankly, I don't get the BBC. Their news is super slick and shiny, but they must film their TV shows on 8mm film or something. B- and I have been watching the UK version of "The Apprentice," and in spite of the fact that it's brand, spankin' new, it looks like it was filmed 30 years ago. It's all grainy and kinda sepia toned. The voice over is clinical. Having said that, we were totally sucked into this new show, "The Amstrongs," which is a bit like "The Office" only not.

Back to iTunes...

So, when B- went away to China, I rented Season 1 of "Desperate Housewives" from the shop across the street. I'd seen it a couple of times back home, but never had time to get into it. It's really a great show. I'm not ashamed to admit that not only am I hitching a ride on the bandwagon, but I'm falling in with a whole wagon train. It's just really good. Once I got through Season 1, I was left a bit high and dry until I realized that iTunes music store uploads new episodes the day after the show airs! No commercials! Sweet, sweet non-denominational deity, you shined on me again!

Lately, ABC appears to be running reruns, so I've moved onto "The Office." Awesome. Just plain, awesome.

3 Comments:

Blogger Reid said...

How's the quality of the video? I heard that it's not so great if you watch it on your computer.

3:32 PM GMT+1

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who "plays" Trump in the UK Apprentice?

4:39 PM GMT+1

 
Blogger akaijen said...

The video on my iBook 14" is not bad. At full screen it's a little pixelated, but if you sit back a bit it's a'ight.

The UK version of "The Apprentice" is headed up by a guy named Sir Alan Sugar. According to the BBC2 Web site, he runs a company called Amstrad that started out selling turntable covers moving on to word processors, set top boxes and video recorders. He's a "sir" so I guess that's pretty good.

8:15 PM GMT+1

 

Post a Comment

<< Home