On Nov. 23, 2005 I moved to The Hague from Washington, DC. This is my new Dutch life.

3.01.2006

Mmmmm Vla

We recently discovered vla on the recommendation of an adult person. I'd seen the cartons all over the shops, but it looked decidedly like pudding to me - something I usually only treat myself to at a Shoney's salad bar. Don't pretend you don't know what I'm talking about.





My online translator says that vla is custard, but it's not quite that thick. It's also not quite as thick as pudding, but essentially that's what it is. It comes in a variety of colors like pink, yellow and dark brown (shown above). We were advised to stick to chocolate. It's a bit weird that it comes in a carton. Mainly, I'm concerned that I can't get the very last drop out of there without ripping it open. Yeah, that would be a little crazy. I won't do that.

Suffice it to say that vla will not be permanently added to my shopping list. It's just too unhealthy. Thank god for the biking because Dutch food is really not good for you. You've got your vla, your olie bollen, French fries at every single meal, deep fried cheese, grilled-cheese sandwiches, sausage rolls, corn dog-type things, meatballs, donuts, etc. etc. They love heavy, fried, saucy, creamy foods.

Good Dutch Things: Dogs Allowed! in restaurants, shops, stores, trains, buses, nearly everywhere.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Reid said...

So it's like drinking pudding? The Dutch are weird, though I like this "fries at every meal" concept...

1:18 PM GMT+1

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Transfer vla to a pastry bag and drizzle over oliebollen in interesting geometric patterns. Instant 4 star dessert!

5:14 AM GMT+1

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let b know its cooled off to a nice mid 20 deg down from the 40deg up north , and its nateral piped gas from the coast .

in paradise the outlook is always good .
vince

5:31 AM GMT+1

 
Blogger akaijen said...

You know Doc, I finished that vla the other day and contemplated cutting it open. It was such a waste - there was so much left!

I really did wanna rip it open. oi!

11:58 AM GMT+1

 

Post a Comment

<< Home