On Nov. 23, 2005 I moved to The Hague from Washington, DC. This is my new Dutch life.

9.13.2006

People Are Strange

With less than a week to go before my wedding day, I feel like I'm having an out of body experience. It's weird to go about my usual routine when a major aspect of my life is about to change.

No, I'm not nervous or scared. I have not a single doubt. It just feels weird. It's probably because we're going away to get married, so the family isn't arriving en masse bringing with them all sorts of chaos, a la Pretty in Pink. It doesn't seem real yet. A year is also a long time to plan and think about something. You get used to the idea that it's "still months away."

So this out of body experience is really a bit more like I'm really hyper aware. In a way, I'm having a lot of "yogic" moments - that is to say that I'm noticing all the little things in life that you often overlook. My teachers would be proud because all I feel is the present moment, in spite of all the plans we're still making and all the little bits and pieces we're still chasing down.

And with my eyes wide open, these are the things I noticed this morning on my walk from Amsterdam Central Station to my office. All I can say is, people are weird:

-- a guy intentionally driving up on a curb, nearly running me over
-- a woman on a bike with a mini-skirt hiked up to her waist flashing hot pink panties
-- a car accident
-- about a dozen young, male tourists in Barney's coffeeshop (you smoke pot in coffeeshops here) at 9am

And also, why do some tourists wear high heels to go on walking excursions around the city?

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

well Barneys IS a breakfast "bar"

beats the hell outta my 9 am ritual

10:47 PM GMT+2

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

do you drink coffee in head shops?

4:50 PM GMT+2

 

Post a Comment

<< Home