On Nov. 23, 2005 I moved to The Hague from Washington, DC. This is my new Dutch life.

8.20.2006

No, Not Mickey

This morning we found a little mouse in our kitchen. Always un-nerving, but also unusual as we have a cat. Judging from Guy's prowess at catching crickets and other creep-crawlies, a mouse would be no match for him.

The poor little mouse was stumbling around and bleeding from his lower orifice. As we watched him die, we speculated that our neighbors must have set out a poisonous trap.

Frankly, this really upset me.

Rat poison is inhumane, especially as catch-and-release traps work fine. Setting out poison is also incredibly stupid as the animals have time to run and hide in the walls where they die (and decay) out of reach. We're lucky that we found this little one in our kitchen, but who knows how many others there are. I also worry what might happen if Guy were to catch a mouse dying from poison.

So, I might have to send B- knocking on doors to beg our neighbors to put away their poison. Since all four of the other tenants are girls and he's a guy with a charming Aussie accent, I think he makes for a better messenger.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My Dutch mouse story:
So I got to AMS every year for Queen's Day. 3 years ago I stayed at my favorite cheap hotel (I don't do this anymore). Most nights when I got home I was so drunk, I was asleep before my head hit the pillow. The last 3 nights in this room were hell. The third to last night, I was awakened in the middle of the night with a start, something small and mouselike ran accross my face, I jumpecd up and turned on a light, and there were about 10 mice in my room, they chewed through the wall. Needless to say I didn't get much sleep that night. The next night when I came back the whole third floor was litterly moving there were 100's of mice. I didn't sleep that night either even with the lights on they still came in my room. My last night I was so tired that I literally couldn't keep my eyes open. I would drift away then get awakened by something crawling over me. Worst night of my life. I was SOOO glad to leave that place and never come back. I still goto AMS for QD every year, but I stay at nicer places now.

8:50 PM GMT+2

 
Blogger PeeKay said...

anonymous- i dont get it. you woke up with 10 mice in the room and continued to sleep there the next night? did the cheap rate include the possibility of mice?

9:05 PM GMT+2

 
Blogger akaijen said...

Yikes! I could only imagine how useless it would have been to complain to the management.

I've only stayed in one hotel in Amsterdam and it was a nice, boutique hotel. Even though we had one of the cheaper rooms in the whole place, in the basement no less, it was still very clean and styley.

However, Amsterdam attracts little more than hippy, backpacker kids so I can only imagine what 'cheap' would be. I also recently heard that Amsterdam hotels are almost always at 80% occupancy. For a holiday, I could see that you might find yourself a little stuck in a shithole.

6:43 AM GMT+2

 

Post a Comment

<< Home