On Nov. 23, 2005 I moved to The Hague from Washington, DC. This is my new Dutch life.

11.30.2005

Man that poop stinks!


I feel terrible. I've done a very bad, yet very Dutch thing.

I let the my dog poop on the sidewalk, and I didn't pick it up. It's not because I didn't want to. In fact, I even vowed that I would not lower myself to leaving dog waste all over my neighborhood. But the truth is, my little roll of poop bags ran out last night and I forgot to reload. The guilt will probably consume me, and I'll run out and clean it up anyway.

But let's talk about this poop thing for a moment. The Dutch have a reputation for cleanliness in their crowded cities, but I have to call them on it.

First of all, there are little green plots of grass all over the place so that one's dog can take care of business in a tranquil and exclusive area. They even have garbage cans nearby especially for poop bags. Yet, there are hundreds of landmines all over the sidewalks. Each afternoon we find big, steamy presents in front of our stoop.

I really don't get it. It's downright nasty and unhealthy. I read somewhere that the government knows there's a problem. Instead of fining people for not picking up after their dogs, however, they encourage owners to have their dogs go in the gutter instead. What???

What's worse is that they employ guys to drive around atop vacuum cleaners, sucking the poop up off the sidewalks. I get the desire to clean it up, but where's the incentive for people to take care of their own mess if Meneer Pooperschooper will do the job for them?

It's gross, and I won't stand for it. I'm going to go clean my pile.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Reid said...

But why haven't Dutch dogs learned to use the toilet like that picture of the dog on the poop trashcan? Surely they've seen it enough times...

2:22 PM GMT+1

 
Blogger akaijen said...

Nah, I don't think they've seen the picture b/c I don't think Dutch humans take them there. Or they just don't make it in time.

Even when they go to the little grassy spots, no one cleans up there either. Grassy spaces are probably worse than the sidewalks.

Hmm wonder why those grassy areas aren't more verdent. With all the uhm, fertilizer, and rain, seems like just about anything would grow.

2:30 PM GMT+1

 
Blogger PeeKay said...

jennyjen,
the coolest dutch penpal! congrats onyour beginning of world domination. one country at a time. love it! have you found a soccer club to get your cleats wet with?
peekay

7:42 PM GMT+1

 
Blogger akaijen said...

Not yet, but I sure hope to!

8:27 PM GMT+1

 

Post a Comment

<< Home