On Nov. 23, 2005 I moved to The Hague from Washington, DC. This is my new Dutch life.

12.18.2006

Desperation Shopping

Christmas is a bit hit or miss with me. Some years, I rock and I make a list in November, and I get really into it. Other years, it sneaks up on me like moldy leftovers hiding in the back of the fridge. In spite of the fact that we went to Vienna a week ago, browsed several Christmas markets and could have bought presents for everyone we know, somehow we just didn't do it. We were too busy stealing our mulled wine mugs.

Now it's exactly one week until Christmas. Nothing we buy in Holland will make it to the U.S. or Australia in time, so I've been desperately scouring the internet for gifts. For those of you in the same boat, I offer up these choice finds:

For Mom:
Red Envelope
National Museum of Women in the Arts Shop

For Dad, Husband, Manly Types:
Leatherman Tool

For Coworkers:
Abusive Stamps
Despair 2007 Calendar
Staple Free Stapler
StealthSwitch Foot Pedal

For Travelers:
Luggage Tags with Attitude
Orikaso Flatworld Tableware

For Geeks:
9-volt Circuit Board Desk Lamp
Designer Gadget Charger
Cassette and Vinyl Ripper

For Our Furry Friends:
Pet Bunk

For Conservationists:
TerraPass: Car Emission Offsets
Kill-A-Watt Electricity Usage Monitor

P.S. I was able to switch to Blogger Beta today, but now the spellcheck doesn't work. So, pardon my bad spelling.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Reid said...

Oooh...cassette and vinyl ripper! Of course, I would need to get cassette and vinyl players before that would be worth getting.

Are you using Firefox 2.0? It has a built-in spell checker that checks anything you type in any text box.

4:07 PM GMT+1

 
Blogger akaijen said...

You and I both know people that would happily loan you a cassette or record player. One Arlington-dweller in particular comes to mind. ;)

Yah, I realized that the new Blogger doesn't play very well with Safari. :( I prefer Safari to Firefox on the Mac. Stuff just looks nicer: type, buttons, form elements. *sigh*

I'm also trying to figure out how to do a test run of the template upgrade so I don't completely wreck my design. Looks even harder than before! Why do new features have to be so painful and time-consuming?

5:24 PM GMT+1

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aww, man that cassette/vinyl ripper looks sweet. I have many, ahem, um, "live recordings" on cassette that need ripping. Gotta have Michael Stipe butchering Midnight Train To Georgia on MP3!

9:08 PM GMT+1

 

Post a Comment

<< Home