On Nov. 23, 2005 I moved to The Hague from Washington, DC. This is my new Dutch life.

2.02.2007

It's Our Fault

The International Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) released the executive summary of its 4th assessment report today. B- says that the IPCC is generally pretty conservative with its findings, and yet the figures are shattering. Best case scenario, by the end of this century average worldwide temperatures will likely increase by 3.2-7.2 degrees F due to human activities. This means ever more extreme weather and rising sea levels. In less than 50 years, scientists also predict that 25% of all species on Earth will be driven to extinction.

Let me put this in perspective. I'm 3x and I have a good chance of living until 2050. I get to live through mass extinctions. If I had a child this year, he or she will probably live until 2079. My grandchildren will live until about 2107. By time my grandchildren die, parts of Southern Europe are predicted to be uninhabitable. The same likely goes for Africa. If this doesn't break your heart, what does.

Yesterday Exxon Mobile and Shell both reported record-breaking profits. Between them, they make $180 million A DAY!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home